Zen Buddhist Practice, Meditation and Education
Fostering individual transformation and compassionate engagement for social change
Upaya Zen Center is a Zen Buddhist practice, service, and training center. Upaya’s vision focuses on the integration of practice and social action, bringing together wisdom and compassion.
Upaya’s mission is to provide a context for community practice, education in Buddhism and social service in the areas of death and dying, prison work, the environment, women’s rights, and peacework. Upaya endeavors to fulfill the vision of the Five Buddha Family Mandala, by understanding the integration of all of its functions.
The Five Buddha Family Mandala is based on the Five Meditation Buddhas of traditional Buddhism from India. It is a vision of Buddhism that is integrated, interconnected, and process oriented and is based on the integration of spirituality, education, livelihood, service, and community into a whole cloth.
By being a refuge to the many who come through its temple doors and offering traditional, experimental, and systems-based programs, Upaya helps to meet the needs of people, society, and the environment.
• Daily Meditations - Open to the public
* 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.
* 12:20 - 1:00 p.m.
* 5:30 - 6:30 p.m. (except Wednesdays)
• Weekly Dharma Talks
* Wednesdays 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
• Audio Dharma Podcasts: http://www.upaya.org/dharma/
• Residential Program - for those who wish to live and practice at Upaya: http://www.upaya.org/programs/being-at-upaya.php
• Programs and Retreats: on Zen, Buddhist studies, neuroscience, Buddhist art, engaged Buddhism, and how to live in our world with affection, kindness, and wisdom. See calendar: http://www.upaya.org/programs/
• Buddhist Chaplaincy Training Program: http://www.upaya.org/training/chaplaincy/index.php
• Professional Training Program in Contemplative End of Life Care: http://www.upaya.org/bwd/
• Personal Retreats: Upaya and Santa Fe offer a natural and contemplative environment for personal retreat and renewal.
Upaya Zen Center has a unique campus of beautiful traditional adobe buildings, winding flagstone paths, and mountain views. The Wayring Temple, Upaya’s zendo, is a place of great beauty and gravity. The kitchen serves vegan and vegetarian meals made from seasonal produce grown in Upaya’s own garden and organic foods from local growers whenever possible. Upaya Zen Center works on a daily basis to preserve its natural resources for future generations. The monastery is two miles from downtown Santa Fe in the quiet historic east valley, nestled in the beautiful Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Because of its location, its acclaimed architecture, and its commitment to compassion and service, Upaya Zen Center offers a rare environment for individuals and groups.