Baby Got You Frazzled? – Get Many Mothers!
Providing new moms with a “village” of support – creating a brighter future for our children and our communities.
Many Mothers strengthens communities by providing vital support at the pivotal time when a new baby joins a family. Skilled volunteers share their expertise to help a family with its practical, educational, and emotional concerns. Mothers are physically renewed and psychologically empowered to meet the daily challenges of raising a family. Family members are supported in attachment and in bonding which is critical to a child's life-long physical and emotional development. Many Mothers offers a rewarding volunteer opportunity with personalized woman-to-woman care. This network of support enriches both the mothers’ and volunteers’ lives, and helps to rebuild community among women. Many Mothers’ “village” approach to family support creates a brighter future for our children and our communities.
Many Mothers offers:
· Home-Visiting: FREE in-home care is provided by volunteers who offer their expertise as doulas, lactation consultants, pediatricians, midwives, nurses, social workers, teachers, mothers, grandmothers, and other caring women, to give new moms a “security net” and “life-link” to the greater community. Service may begin within the first six months after a birth or adoption, and typically lasts for three months (longer for multiple births) to help new mothers get on their feet and adjust to the many changes that their new babies bring.
· Physical support: Gives respite to exhausted mothers
· Emotional support: Addresses postpartum depression and other stress factors
· Educational support: Offers parenting and self-care skills, provides information about other community resources
· Fostering the mother/child bond: Many Mothers’ philosophy- “A nurtured mom = a nurtured baby”
· Community resource referrals:Connections to health-care, food, education
· Prevention and Intervention: Help with recognizing and addressing related issues before they become potential problems
Many Mothers’ home-visiting services are available to any new mother in Santa Fe County. It is for proactive mothers who understand that is smart to seek assistance at this wondrous, yet often challenging time when a new baby comes into a family. Care-providers give personalized care that asks the mom “How can I help you today?”
· Many Mothers Circle:Free monthly gatherings on the first Tuesday of the month from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. at Santa Fe Soul’sSun Room. This is for moms and their babies, featuring educational presentations and an opportunity for mothers to connect for peer support. (See the event listing for specific dates, speakers and topics)
Wish you had a Many Mothers in your community?
Many Mothers offers its guidebook
“How to Develop a Volunteer Service for Families with Newborns” along with personal mentoring to those interested in starting a similar program.
How You Can Help:
· Become a Volunteer
· Make a Donation
· Share your Expertise as a Speaker at a Many Mothers Circle
· Attend a Many Mothers Fundraiser (see event listing for upcoming fundraisers)
· Make an In-kind Donation of Services or Goods
· Spread the Word about Many Mothers
· Contribute to our Wish List
o Diapers and Baby Wipes
o New Infant Clothing
o New or Gently Used Baby Furniture and Equipment