“Lannan announces its 2012-2013 schedule…”
Well, don’t actually “ignore” these dates, as they represent another extraordinary schedule of Lannan Foundation events, which will bring some of the greatest writers and minds of our time to Santa Fe. What I really meant is: figure out what events can fit in your schedule and make plans to get tickets. You see, in an effort to be quite democratic, open and egalitarian in its approach to ticket sales for its incredible Readings & Conversations events and In Pursuit of Cultural Freedom schedule, the Lannan Foundation has always placed the tickets on sale about a month prior to these stunning evenings on a first-come, first-served basis at the ridiculously cheap price of $6 General Public or $3 with a Student ID. To be absolutely accurate and to avoid having someone hunt me down if they had incorrect information from me and missed getting a ticket: “Tickets for each event go on sale the first SATURDAY in the month prior to the event. If the first Saturday is a major holiday, tickets will go on sale the following Saturday.” This, directly from the Lannan website.
I have often seen the lines at the Lensic box office snake out through the lobby door, around the corner and down Burro Alley. So, mark down these dates and back up by a month and make your plans. And don’t go all “Santa Fe” on me. “Santa Fe Time” is not operative with the Lannan schedule– you snooze, you lose.
Both the Readings & Conversations and Pursuit of Cultural Freedom lectures take place at the Lensic Performing Arts Center. And, all are on Wednesdays, except the Omar Barghouti/Amy Goodman event, which is on Friday.
Lannan has, again, put together a stellar lineup and I appreciate having all of this at once, as it gives one a chance to really plan. I first have to see how much RAM my head still has as available disc space and what events fit, both my schedule and my capacity to absorb and store the information. If some of these great thinkers are not on your radar: a) they should be and b) the Lannan website gives great detail about each evening.
Here is the list to savor:
• Michelle Alexander with Liliana Segura – Wednesday, September 12th
• Amy Goodman and Denis Moynihan – October 10th
• Nathalie Handal with Naomi Shihab Nye – October 24th
• David Suzuki with Clayton Thomas-Müller – November 7th
• Kevin Young with Colson Whitehead – November 14th
• Hamid Dabashi with David Barsamian – December 5th
• Zadie Smith with Gemma Sieff – January 30th, 2013
• Omar Barghouti with Amy Goodman – February 1st (Friday)
• James Hansen with Subhankar Banerjee – February 20th
• David Mills performs Dreamweaver: The Works of Langston Hughes – February 27th
• Barbara Ehrenreich with David Barsamian – March 13th
• Russell Banks with Stona Fitch – March 27th
• Isabel Wilkerson with John Stauffer – April 10th
• David Mitchell with Tom Barbash – April 24th
• Joan Didion with Mona Simpson – May 1st
• Eduardo Galeano with Marie Arana – May 15th.
Save me a place on line in Burro Alley, would you please?