Git along little doggies
The Wild West is alive and well in New Mexico. And this weekend, expect the wildness of the Southwest to manifest itself in a wide variety of entertainment in and around Santa Fe. The following list has been tailored to combine both the wild and the western, with a smorgasbord of raucous music, stereotype-breaking rodeo and cowboy retrospect. As always, if you don't see your event on our calendar feel free to submit it. Check out our weekend picks and git along little dogies.
1. Meadow City Music Festival, Las Vegas Plaza Park, Las Vegas, NM, Saturday and Sunday
The festival kicks off Friday night with a free concert in the Plaza Park, followed by a ticketed headline performance from Dead Superheroes Orchestra at El Rialto Restaurant Patio. Family activities follow on Saturday, along with free music featuring eight local bands, including Boris and the Saltlicks and Fire & Rain. Tobias Rene, "The King of New Mexico Music," headlines Saturday night.
2. Wild Frontier Rides Out for a Legal Tender Weekend, Legal Tender and Railroad Museum, Friday and Saturday, 6-9:30 p.m.
Come Dance in an 1890s dance hall to the music of E. Christina Herr and Wild Frontier. Listen to great "cosmic western" music and have a fine meal – all in one place.
3. 22nd Annual Zia Regional Rodeo, Rodeo de Santa Fe, Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
The International Gay and Rodeo Association (IGRA) is composed of many regional gay rodeo associations and sanctions a season of rodeo events which culminates in the annual World Gay Rodeo Finals. IGRA aim to allow all contestants to compete in rodeo sports without discrimination.
4. Wild West Weekend, The New Mexico History Museum/Palace of the Governors, Friday through Sunday
Bring the family and your inner cowboy and immerse yourself in cowboy culture, August 9-11 with this special event celebrating the exhibition "Cowboys Real and Imagined."
5. Rock for MS Benefit Concert , Sol @ Santa Fe Brewing Company, Friday, 6-10 p.m.
Rock for MS is a benefit rock and metal show to suit your wild side. The fundraiser takes place at Santa Fe Sol and includes such local acts as Poncho Delux, HN-88, Pathosin and Hate Engine.
6. Santa Fe County Fair 2013, Santa Fe County Fairgrounds, Friday through Sunday
This year there are four fun-filled days of livestock shows, entertainment, handson activities, and lots of great food! The newest attraction is a miniature horse demonstration. The Salsa Contest and Chile Challenge will be returning as well!