This was handed down from my grandmother. When there was bread left over, my mom would dry it up. She wouldn't throw it away. She would save it in the refrigerator until she had enough. It was easy to make and cheap. And my dad used to make it after my mom died. Marcella Abeyta
- 6 slices of bread, toasted and cut into one inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Boil water, brown sugar and cinnamon for about three minutes.
- Stir in butter.
- Sprinkle half of the bread pieces on bottom of an 8 X 8" pan. Top with half of nuts, raisins and cheese.
- Pour 1/3 of syrup over bread and layer again except for cheese.
- Pour remaining syrup over layers and top with cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for about 20 minutes.