- Yield: Approx. 6 servings
- 1-1"2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1"2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1"4 cup water
- Filling: prune, apple, or pumpkin
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening, blending until dough is the consistency of fine meal. Add water gradually until a stiff dough is formed.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured board to a 1"2" thickness. Cut dough into rounds of 4" in diameter. Place a heaping tablespoon of fruit filling into the center of each round. Top rounds with remaining cut rounds, pinching ends together.
- Bake pies in a preheated 400° oven for about 10 minutes or until golden.
Recipes from Marcia Keegan's Southwest Indian Cookbook (Clear Light Publishing) at www.clearlightbooks.com/newmexico. For more about Marcia Keegan see www.marciakeegan.com.