- 1-1"2 pounds boned lamb, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 tablespoons lard or oil
- 1"2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 dried juniper berries, crushed
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and chopped
- 21"2 cups canned hominy
- 1-1"2 tablespoons ground red chile
- 1"2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 3 green chile peppers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 pint water
- Coat lamb lightly with flour.
- Brown lamb slowly on all sides in oil in a large heavy saucepan. While meat browns, add black pepper and juniper berries.
- Transfer meat to a plate. Sauté onion in pan until slightly wilted. Return meat to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, for 1-1"2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Recipes from Marcia Keegan's Southwest Indian Cookbook (Clear Light Publishing) at www.clearlightbooks.com/newmexico. For more about Marcia Keegan see www.marciakeegan.com.