Giving Back

Chalmers Capital Cares Gears Up for 2012

"Chalmers' commitment to the people of Santa Fe and to the community is evident in its selection of the charitable partners"

Date December 23, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Author Greta Chapin McGill

Publication SantaFe.com

Categories Automotive Nonprofit

Advertisement

Chalmers Capital Ford Lincoln Mercury Dealership is kicking off its 2012 Capital Cares Program, an innovative, community-inspired charitable gift to the people of Santa Fe. The project is beginning its second year of giving back to the community through a unique partnership with 24 nonprofit organizations.  The staff and management expect to gift each partner organization with a substantial amount, and have an overall goal of raising $100,000 for these worthy causes.

A Santa Fe Institution

Chalmers Capital Ford Lincoln Mercury, in the Santa Fe Auto Park, is a Santa Fe institution. Founded by Mark Brandt Sr. 45 years ago, the business is now guided by Scott Simkins and Don Chalmers in partnership with the Brandt family. The staff and management of team Chalmers is the core of one of Santa Fe’s largest employers. The Chalmers Capital Cares Program was conceived by Simkins. Originally from Utah, he came to New Mexico in l996. He loves the beauty and the weather of the City Different and is a self-professed car guy and a people person. “I love talking to people," he says. "Service is a huge part of all of our businesses.”

The Chalmers Commitment to Santa Fe

Chalmers' commitment to the people of Santa Fe and to the community is evident in its selection of the charitable partners. These worthy nonprofits are chosen by the marketing and sales team. Simkins has been a personal contributor to one of the partners, the Food Depot, for many years. Food Depot statistics say one out of five school-age children in northern New Mexico go to school hungry. ”Kids are not worried about learning when they are hungry,” Simkins says of his involvement with the Food Depot.

Chalmers Capital Cares also addresses humanitarian needs in the form of shelters for people and pets. St. Elizabeth Shelter, Esperanza Shelter, Santa Fe Animal Shelter and Paws New Mexico are among the 2012 charitable partners. Targeting social needs in Santa Fe is also a concern for this wide-reaching program. Santa Fe Search and Rescue, Santa Fe Sheriff’s Posse and Big Brothers & Big Sisters also benefit from Chalmers Capital Cares.

A total of 24 nonprofit organizations participate in the program. At the 2012 kickoff event, each organization will choose an envelope assigning them a month. Two organizations are be targeted each month, receiving 75% of the contributions for the month with the remaining 25% available for smaller designated organizations like sports teams and county events.

Chalmers Capital Ford Lincoln Mercury is the parent company for the Quick Lane Tire and Auto Centers' two locations and CF Collision and Repair along with the auto park service location. Every time a vehicle is serviced at one of these locations, $1 will be set aside for organizations of the month. On the sales floor, $50 is added for each new or pre-owned vehicle sold.

A New Year and a New Look

Chalmers is in the midst of a six-month, full interior and exterior remodeling project on a new service facility to better serve their customers. A customer-friendly environment that is “comfortable and cozy” is Simkon's aim for the renovation. For 45 years, Chalmers has been known for its level of service and comfort and the new space continues that tradition. A new look and a helping hand for Santa Fe’s nonprofit organizations is the key to making 2012 the most successful year yet for Chalmers Capitol Cares, dedicated to building a better community with their partners for all of Santa Fe.  

Advertisement